Thursday, February 7, 2013

Ctrl + Alt + Del

How often in your life do you have to reset something - or everything?  You just keep trying to make something work, until you realize that it just isn't going to anymore, so you have to force close it and walk away.  I have a couple of those situations right now, and figuring out how to go through the process is difficult.

Going back to work is really a change.  I've worked out of my home for quite some time, and that was always easy.  I could care for my children, I could work in my jammies, I could do things on my own time and in my own convenience.  All of that is about to change.  I will be hitting that alarm clock in the mornings, getting dressed and heading out the door, working with people who won't be screaming MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMMMMMMYYYYYYY while I'm on the phone ... well ... hopefully.  I'm fairly certain that I have already expressed just how excited I am in previous posts, so I won't harp on that here, but there are some additional stresses that I will be adding.  I'm thankful that my dad lives with us, and that he can assist with childcare and homeschooling, but the prep work that I have to do is almost as intense as the actual work.  Figuring out how to meal plan so that life is easier for Dad is also a challenge.  Then, there's running errands, doctor's appointments, taking care of all of my volunteer commitments, spending time with Hubby ... I'll admit it, I'm a little overwhelmed this morning.

Yesterday, I spent the day working on lesson plans and redesigning some of the organizational systems I've always used, just so they're easier for my dad.  As I was ripping apart folders and printing out worksheets like my life depended on it, the thought occurred to me that it might just be easier to just forget about going back to work, and just keep doing what I'm doing.  Easier?  ABSOLUTELY!!  But is it what I want?  Nope, not even a bit.

When we face change, we either collapse or grow stronger.  Like me, most of you can probably look back on your life and see that your most defining moments were because you triumphed over a change.  The changes don't necessarily have to be life-changing tragedies, a change can be the birth of a baby or winning the lottery - it is *still* change.  And change can be a scary thing. I'm in my mid-30's, I have four children, a husband.  I've had a divorce, I've faced loss, I've faced true pain.  But I'm here, and I'm strong ... and isn't that the definition of getting through it? So, how do you deal with the stress of change?  Are you a take charge-er?  A hide-er until its over?  Do you grab the ball and run for a touchdown, or do you sit on the sidelines and cheer?  I don't think there is a *right* way to handle change.  The only thing that makes it right is whether or not it works for you. I would love to hear some of your stories!  Feel free to give advice (and maybe some encouragement!) in the comments below :)



No comments:

Post a Comment